Friday, March 11, 2011

My first favorite song: Michael Bolton "Steel Bars"


On AV Club today, the Friday Q&A centers around the staffers' first favorite songs. Most are pretty shitty, but can you really blame them? These are the inner workings of children, people, and more to the point, their parents' tastes.

My parents' musical oeuvres rested in two camps: Christian music and soft rock. So, predictably, my first favorite song came from one of those genres.

The year was 1992. I was 7. The song was Michael Bolton's "Steel Bars." Looking it up now, it's remarkable that this song even crossed my radar. It only reached a peak of number 7 on the Adult Contemporary chart, not even making it to the Billboard 100.

But for some reason, Q92.1 played the shit out of that song, and I loved it.



Of the 200 comments on YouTube, this one sums up this song the best:
"We were to have Love is a wonderful thing to play at our wedding but the button was pushed 1 to many times and this song was played instead. lol"

Later in my youth I would migrate towards the alt-rock abyss of Green Day and Better Than Ezra (1995, what!), but in 1992, Michael Bolton had my heart.

Comments are open for your faves.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
K.3.N.J.I