Thursday, March 10, 2011

Parents, teach your children well



(Below is a quick story I posted on my paper's blog about an incident that happened to me at a local middle school. It was stupid, kind of funny, and now the school administration is being brought into it, for some reason. ANYWAY, thought yeez would find it entertaining.

Not sure if this is the start of me blogging again more regularly, but maybe so.)


Quick story from Highland Park Middle School yesterday.

So I’m walking into the school at about 3:45 for a 2011-2012 budget work session, when I hear from over my shoulder “Hey mister, nice satchel!”

I immediately thought to myself, “Good call, 13-year-old girl. This is, in fact, a stylish leather shoulder briefcase that I received as a birthday present from my lovely fiance. I like it as well!”

My thought was shattered when one of her friends yelled to me, “(word often used, a.) in a derogatory way to describe a a gay man, b.) to describe a British cigarette, or c.) to describe a small pile of sticks).”

Now I’m not one to shy away from coarse language, as I’m sure anyone here at Park Cities People would attest. I use it too often, I admit. But this one struck me as a bit rough around the edges.

I talked to the girl who yelled “small pile of sticks” to me, who claimed she didn’t yell it at me. I believe she said, “I just yelled it.”

Look it. I was in middle school once too, child, and I know the tricks. Own up to it, though, and maybe we can all learn a lesson.

Or not. Jerks.

(Ed. note- One of her friends was wearing a killer Metallica “…And Justice For All” t-shirt, so I couldn’t be totally mad.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
K.3.N.J.I